Saturday, October 12, 2013

My Thoughts: Charlotte

            After the caution fest that was the fall race at Kansas, the series heads to the high banked and fast mile and a half in Charlotte, North Carolina. The only Saturday night race in the Chase is destined to be one of the best at the home track for most of the teams in the Sprint Cup Series. The contenders for the championship have become clearer in the past couple of weeks. Matt Kenseth and Jimmie Johnson still remain at the top of the battle while Kevin Harvick placed himself in the battle with a win last week at Kansas. Kyle Busch, who was third in points before the race at Kansas, had several incidents and fell all the way back to fifth in the points standings. He has a good many points to make up at Charlotte, but he is still in the battle for the title. All of this knowledge leads into my thoughts for the fall race at Charlotte. Topics today include a new challenger in the battle for the title, my predictions for two brand new starters, a race date change that affects me the most, a driver arrested for assault, and the main topic of my thoughts: my pick to win. A lot of crazy topics today that make me want to go ahead and get started.

1. Is Kevin Harvick a New Challenger in the Championship Battle?
        If you were unable to catch the race at Kansas, let me recap. Kevin Harvick took the win in the race after fifteen cautions and three of those that involved Kyle Busch, who was third in points. Now, Harvick is third in the points and Busch is sitting deep in the standings in fifth. This leads me to my question: Is Kevin Harvick a new challenger in the championship battle? That is a definite yes. One reason is the tracks that are coming up. Tonight's race is at Charlotte. Harvick has won at the track a good bit in the past few years. Then, the series heads to Talladega. Harvick is a good driver at the restrictor plate tracks and especially at Talladega. Then, we go to Martinsville. Harvick has been decent at the smallest track on the circuit in his time in the series. All this means is that he should get a good many points since he is so good at the tracks coming up. Now, I know previous track record somewhere doesn't mean anything really, but since he is so close to the point lead, it does mean a good bit. Finally, Harvick has been very consistent all year. Harvick hasn't really finished bad unless he wrecked or had a car that wasn't up to what he needed. Because of this, Harvick has had a lot of good finishes and this has continued in the Chase. All this means is that one slip up by the guys in front of Harvick could lead to points gained in the championship. With this said, Harvick could be a good pick for his first championship in the Sprint Cup Series. 

2. Who Will Finish Better in Their Sprint Cup Debut: Brian Scott or Kyle Larson?
         A highly contested issue this week at Charlotte has been with the drivers making their debut. Will Kyle Larson or Brian Scott finish better when all is said and done? To me, Brian Scott will be the highest finishing driver making his debut after the finish at Charlotte. Wait, what? Doesn't Kyle Larson have more potential according to the sport? There is no doubt that people think that, but let me give my reasons. The first reason is the way Brian Scott drives. Scott is a very patient driver and one that will not get his nose dirty unless he has to. Larson is way different. He will drive the wheels off the car and bump anybody to get his way. Now, in some cases that will work and help out a lot, but it won't help in your debut. With Scott's style, he should have a better chance for a higher up finish. Finally, Scott has better equipment and backing. Scott is racing for Richard Childress Racing who has very good equipment and a lot of drivers like Kevin Harvick and Jeff Burton that are good teachers. Kyle Larson is driving for Harry Scott who has all right equipment and Larson has a little bit of help from Jamie McMurray. Even though Larson may have a bit more talent, Scott has pretty much all that matters with equipment and information. Again, these things don't necessarily tell who will finish better. You have to consider luck, strategy, and even weather. Without all these aspects thrown in, I still believe that Scott will have the advantage over Larson in terms of finishing position.

3. Spring Kansas Race Moves to Night and Mother's Day Weekend While the Darlington Race Moves to April
         A bit of schedule news came out during the week. It was announced that the Mother's Day weekend race at Darlington would be moved to April while the race at Kansas would become a night race and move to Mother's Day weekend. The only reason I wanted to discuss this was because of my own life. Some of you may know that I have been to a race at Darlington every year since 2004. The past two have been the Cup race while the years before that were the Nationwide race. This move actually works out for my family and I. When the race was in May, we usually only had a chance to see one of the two because I didn't want to miss school. Now, the race falls on the weekend of my Spring Break and I wouldn't miss school if we went to both. For the past day, I have been looking at hotels and hopefully with a little luck, I will be able to book a hotel for the weekend and we will be able to attend both races. I will let you guys know in the upcoming weeks if we were able to get a room and if we will  be able to attend both races. Either way, it should be an exciting beginning to April whether we get to go to both races or not.

4. Travis Kvapil Arrested For Domestic Assault: What Does This Mean For His Career?
        A bit of surprising news came out during the week. It was announced that Travis Kvapil had been arrested for domestic assault. He was put in jail before he was able to get out a few days before the race today. BK Racing decided to keep Kvapil in the car until he was proven guilty of the crime. I was a bit surprised by the news of the arrest myself. Kvapil has never been one to really raise his voice or get really mad. I mean, I consider him a laid back guy. Now, I know I don't know Kvapil personally and I have never met him, but guys make their reputation on the track and he has made a good one in his career. Now, this also brings up a point of what this does to Kvapil's career. To me, this practically ruins his chances to get a good ride in the future. Beating up your wife is one of the worst things you can do in this time. I mean, you could probably rob a bank and not get looked down upon as bad as beating up a woman. That is just how our society looks at crimes these days. Nobody wants to mess with an accused woman beater. Take Tiger Woods for example. When him and his ex-wife had that altercation that night, nobody wanted to deal with him. In fact, he still hasn't came back to the prowess he held before that night. With Kvapil being an underfunded driver now, it will only get worse for him with the label of wife beater hanging above his head. 

5. My Pick to Win
        Last week at Kansas, Kevin Harvick took the victory over Kurt Busch after a caution filled event. Last time at Charlotte, Kevin Harvick took the win after holding off Kasey Kahne on a late restart. Kahne had dominated the race, but Harvick used his tag as the closer to move in and take the win. Harvick dominated the race last week at Kansas and did not need his tag as closer to take the victory. I think tonight's race could be another wild card race, but it will have some predictable front runners. I think Kasey Kahne, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, and Jeff Gordon are good picks to win the race tonight. I thank you guys for reading through my thoughts once again. Make sure you guys leave a comment down below if you feel different on the issues I have discussed. I will continue to write for you guys and I plan on writing for the race at Charlotte tonight. I will see you guys soon and until we meet again.





Credits:
-Image:
http://www.concordmonitor.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=HuxgNSIzAH7NZXjCMuuGC8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtUJL66i5w68d4mLBCJ65QQWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment